Safe Routes to School (SRTS) Program (http://www.saferoutesnj.org/) is a federally funded program that is administered by the New Jersey Department of Transportation (NJDOT) and is designed to encourage school children to walk and/or bike to school safely. . EZ Ride is responsible to help the 800+ elementary and middle schools in Bergen, Passaic, Essex, Union and Monmouth counties to implement the program. As the resources are limited, our primary focus is on schools located in disadvantaged communities. The goals of the SRTS program are to:
- Work with schools to educate and encourage children about how to safely walk and/or bicycle to school to encourage health and reduce pedestrian crashes, traffic congestion, and air pollution.
- Assist communities to make bicycling and walking to school a safer and more appealing transportation alternative and to identify issues and fund infrastructure improvements.
Highway Traffic Safety (http://www.nj.gov/oag/hts/pedestrian.html) and Street Smart NJ (http://bestreetsmartnj.org/) Programs are statewide efforts to promote walking and biking safety in communities. Our goals are to educate and encourage seniors, high school students and children re: walking and biking safety in selected communities in our service area.
NJ Healthy Communities Network (NJHCN) Program (www.njhcn.org) is a funding collaborative to support communities to develop active living and healthy eating strategies via systems, policy and environmental change. EZ Ride currently has a two-year grant in Long Branch to implement SRTS bike and walking programs and to promote healthy living and access to healthier foods via healthy corner stores. Our goals are to:
- Introduce and implement SRTS activities in the community
- Develop a coalition of groups to work on increasing active living and healthier eating
- Recruit and work with corner stores to sell healthier snacks, drinks and fresh produce.
- Conduct walkability assessments and prepare school travel plans
- Attend grantee meetings and help write blogs about community successes
Street Smart New Jersey (SSNJ) campaign is an NJTPA funded program to decrease pedestrian crash rates and fatalities. We work on two full campaigns annually and prepare a report on our efforts to observe driver/pedestrian behavior, survey and educate residents about NJ laws, safe practices and the campaign’s key messages.