Pedestrian Safety Events
We can help you find solutions to creating a safer walking environment for children by providing several pedestrian safety services to the schools and municipalities in our service area. Our services range from presentations on pedestrian safety to guiding schools and communities in organizing walking school buses. We work with individual schools, school districts, municipalities or community groups on a wide variety of programs, and our services are provided at no cost to you.
Walking School Bus
A walking school bus is a group of children walking to school with one or more adults.
A walking school bus can be:
- two or three families taking turns walking their children to school
- A planned route with meeting points, a timetable and a schedule of trained volunteers
- Every day, once a week or on special days
Meadowlink can help to set up a demonstration Walking School Bus and can provide you with a step by step guide.
Pedestrian Safety Presentation
A 20-30 minute presentation can be given to Grades K-5 teaching “Stop, Look, Listen, and Think.” The presentation can be catered to the age group but may include information on:
- Yielding to cars and driver behavior at crosswalks
- Pedestrian signal indicators at traffic lights
- Making yourself visible to drivers
- Your safety – friends and distracted driver
- Parking lots and roads without sidewalks
An important component of any walking or biking program is to establish safe routes. This activity involves walking potential routes with a group of adults and/or students to discuss and document existing facilities and obstacles. This activity can also identify and prioritize improvements that could be made to improve the safety of walking and biking.